The Club was formed in 1953 and obtained its liquor license and became a Registered Club in 1958. In association with the Bowling Club, the Club originated and constructed the building now known as the Legion Annexe. Trading continued in this building until the current premises was completed in 1969. The Club’s official name is Willoughby Legion Ex-Services Club, but trades under the title Club Willoughby.
As an Ex-Services Club, the Ode (the poem “For the Fallen”) is recited every Friday evening, and ANZAC Day at 6pm. This is a moment of solemn remembrance, when all present stand and face the west (the direction of the eternal flame) for its reading. Anyone not observing the properties of the moment will be politely reminded of its significance.
Club Willoughby’s business is within the hospitality industry. Trading hours vary periodically and are advertised throughout the Club. The services provided vary over time; however, there are several which are staples of the Club’s operations:
· Food Services
· Bar Service
· Gaming services
· Membership Draws
Club Willoughby also has a variety of intra-clubs which have events running throughout the year. Our current activity groups include:
· Dance Clubs: Ceroc modern Jive, Ballroom dancing, Line Dancing
· The Fishos Club
· The Bridge Club
· The Snooker Club
· The Philatelic Society
· The Ladies Auxiliary Club
· Tai Chi
Club Willoughby offers a range of free entertainment throughout the year which includes live music, Trivia, Poker, Meal & Drink specials and sports promos.